Staff contact, student medication, illness procedures, and more
Fairfax County Public Schools and the Fairfax County Health Department work together to ensure a safe and healthy environment for learning here at Willow Springs Elementary School.
Health Department Employees
- Jessica Bermudez-Smith - Public Health Nurse, covers several schools and visits Willow Springs Elementary School each week. She is responsible for developing a plan of care for students with chronic health conditions and for supervision of the day-to-day operations of the Health Room.
- Susan Waldeck, SHA - is the School Health Aide who is here each day while the students are in school. She delivers care to sick and injured students according to specific guidelines and/or care plans, administers medications, and responds to emergencies.
- Please be sure to completely fill out the Emergency Care Information AND the Health Information Form. This information will be shared only with staff members who need to know.
- Students occasionally need to be picked up from school. It is helpful for you to include the names of neighbors, friends, or family members who would be able to do this on the Emergency Care Card in case you are unavailable on a given day.
- Keep your students home if they have any symptoms of illness.
- If medication needs to be given in school, either on a regular basis or occasionally as needed, it needs to be provided by the parents (no medications are on hand in school).
Children who need to take medication during school hours must have a signed Medication Authorization, Release, and Indemnification Form. Prescription medications require the signature of both the parent and the physician. Inhalers and EpiPens require authorization forms.
- Parents can authorize over-the-counter medications for the treatment of headaches, muscle aches, orthodontic pain, or menstrual cramps. Most other medications need a healthcare provider’s signature.
- Medications must be transported to and from school by a parent/guardian.
- Medications must be kept in the health room or other school-approved locations.
Questions? Does your child have a chronic health condition that you would like to discuss with the nurse before school starts? Please reach out to Jessica Bermudez-Smith, RN at [email protected]. To reach the Health Room at Willow Springs Elementary, please call 703-679-6010.