2022- 2023 ESSER III/ School Innovation and Improvement Plan
Outcome goals for this academic year
COMPLETE ESSER SCHOOL FUNDING PLANS
ESSER III/School Innovation and Improvement Plan At A Glance
- Willow Springs Elementary School
- Region 5
- Dylan Taylor-Principal
The Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) is a federal grant, which requires that spending be used in specific areas. Part of the Fairfax County Public Schools spending plan identifies funding to be used for Unfinished Learning and Student Academic and Social, Emotional, and Mental Health (Wellness) Needs.
English Language Arts
Outcome: Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in English Language Arts.
- Ensure implementation of the workshop model to reflect on current practices and to strengthen Tier 1 (for all students) and Tier 2 (intervention instruction for students as needed) instruction in phonemic awareness and phonics.
- Ensure implementation of the workshop model to reflect on current practices and to strengthen Tier 1 and Tier 2 instruction in reading comprehension.
- Teachers will identify and monitor students in need of targeted intervention support in English Language Arts and will review progress on a consistent basis
- Parents and caregivers will learn additional ways to support their students in English Language Arts at home through the sharing of resources and strategies.
ESSER III Mathematics Strategies
- Outcome: Ensure all students are making at least one year or more of measurable growth in Mathematics.
- Ensure implementation of the math workshop model to reflect on current practices and to strengthen Tier 1 differentiated instruction and ST Math.
- Implement small group instruction to supplement core instruction as Tier 2 supports using AVMR (Add+Vantage Math Recovery) and Do the Math resources.
- Strengthen Tier 1 number sense and math fact fluency instruction.
- Teachers will identify and monitor students in need of targeted intervention support in math and will review progress on a consistent basis.
ESSER III Wellness Strategies
Outcome: Ensure all students feel safe, included, supported, and have a sense of belonging in the school environment.
- Ensure implementation of Tier 1 social-emotional learning practices using Responsive Classroom, the addition of PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports) hybrid approach through Willow Pride tickets, school wide behavior expectations EARS (Empathy, Accountability, Respect, Safety), Positivity Project, and our new George Mason Softball partnership.
- Implementation of Tier 2 check-in/check-out for identified students, individualized instruction during Fox Den (enrichment/intervention), and expand the Mentor Works program to include community members.
- Increase family engagement by providing social-emotional learning support and resource tips (through social media and News You Choose) and literature and materials for families to check out for use at home.
Access & Opportunity End of Year SMARTR Outcome
Goal: 100% of students in grades K-6 will have exposure to the AAP/STEAM curriculum, resources, and strategies once per quarter to help develop and grow critical and creative thinking and communication skills (Portrait Of Graduate).
- Implementation of Tier 1 quarterly grade level Critical and Creative Thinking Lessons.
- Implementation of Tier 1 access to STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) lessons in grades K-6.
- Increase identification and implementation of Tier 2 practices for students identified as Young Scholars.