Seasonal Health Room Reminders
The Health Department recommends that you and your family members take the following steps to protect yourselves from illnesses this season:
- Vaccinate your child and yourself against influenza this year and every year. As long as influenza is circulating in our community, it is not too late to get a vaccine.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. Teach your children to wash their hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, alcohol-based hand sanitizers may be used.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue and throw tissues in the trash after use. If tissues are not available, cover coughs and sneezes with your upper sleeve.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. Germs spread this way.
Do not send any child experiencing communicable symptoms to school. If your child comes to school with a fever, vomiting, or diarrhea, he or she will be sent home. Keep your child home and away from others until the child has been symptom-free and without fever for at least 24 hours without the use of medication (i.e., he or she should not attend school, school functions, sporting or extracurricular activities, or leave home except to seek medical care).
- Please dress your child appropriately for the weather.
- Your child may carry cough drops, throat lozenges, and lip balm in their backpack.
Please contact the Health Room with any questions and concerns. Have a healthy and illness free season.